New street opening off of Webster St?

Marshfield related issues.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
Kid
Visitor
Visitor

New street opening off of Webster St?

Postby Kid » Nov Tue 22, 2005 9:25 pm

Does anyone know what is going in where the old lawnmower fix-it shop was on Webster St? (I believe it was Roy Brown's shop)

The old house and garage were demolished today., and there looks to be a few acres behind the house that were cleared.

Just curious................

-Kid

pioneer765
Tourist
Tourist

Postby pioneer765 » Nov Tue 22, 2005 9:35 pm

most likey a new house there call tear downs
How little do they see what really is, who frame their hasty judgment upon that which seems.
Daniel Webster

bc
Transient
Transient

Postby bc » Nov Tue 22, 2005 11:34 pm

behind Roys house is a landscape company Global i think/ it used to be Flagg const.

Kid
Visitor
Visitor

Postby Kid » Nov Wed 23, 2005 7:53 am

Global and Edwards Const. are to the left of Roys house (If your looking at the front of the house)., and the way the land was cleared it looks like it was not done for the building of just one larger house. It looks like a street is going in there with houses on it.

PGB
Tourist
Tourist

Postby PGB » Nov Wed 23, 2005 8:07 am

Its a new subdivision. From the Town Planning Department website:

Cushing Drive Estates (formerly Parsonage Drive Estates)
Developer: William Cushing
Type: def. sub; 9 single-family dwellings
Approved: 09-19-05
Status: approved; preconstruction meeting done; will clear the road and start work on drainage system first

bc
Transient
Transient

Postby bc » Nov Wed 23, 2005 8:21 am

Chandler propertywas for sale on the other side os Edwards / i wonder if that is part of plan. i havent been by to see clearing yet .

Kid
Visitor
Visitor

Postby Kid » Nov Wed 23, 2005 8:45 am

Thanks PGB!

I believe Flagg bought the old Chandler Gas site to expand their original property...

Earl Jr
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Postby Earl Jr » Nov Wed 23, 2005 11:12 am

More disgusting growth! I knew that part of Parsonage would be gone soon! Way to go Marshfield! :evil:

God Bless Our Troops

Username Goes Here
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Username Goes Here » Nov Wed 23, 2005 12:19 pm

I'm surprised people are building divisions when you acn't even sell the houses that are on the mkt already!

goodguy
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Postby goodguy » Nov Wed 23, 2005 2:03 pm

Hey Earl, how disgusting would it be if you owned the land?

dddd
Resident
Resident

Postby dddd » Nov Wed 23, 2005 3:37 pm

I wouldn't say you can't sell houses on the market, maybe pre-owned holmes, but new contruction seems to be selling just fine. Look at the condo's acrross from claypit road, last I checked months ago they appeared all occupied, other than a few more being built at the end. I am sure this will not be the last such developement off webster street. Curtis owns a good amount of land behind Star market, though I think some of it may have a conservation restriction on, who knows what they can do with the 40's laws.

Earl Jr
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Postby Earl Jr » Nov Sat 26, 2005 1:25 am

"Hey Earl, how disgusting would it be if you owned the land?"

Dope legalizer, My family once farmed this town,my ancesters lived in and around here since the Mayflower and my folks owned a house in the most pristene woods around.
Those woods are almost gone! Along with the whole GD town(well except the Hills and North Marshfield)!
I drove by my old house on Duffers Lane(above Tea Rock) as I do a lot on Mondays with my little one and shed a tear because this rape of land for you new Marshfielders to build build build has started up there!
Clear cuts across the fire path,clear cuts right next to conservation signs,clear cut from the water tower to Mariner Hill to Tea Rock Lane!
It's all disgusting goodguy and if I owned the land I would be fighting you pro growth,pro-progres bastards to the death(or jail)! Now goodguy,I know you have lived here a long time,much longer than I,so you of all people should be disgusted too,that is unless you are in cahoots with these builders or the regime too.........

God Bless Our Troops

goodguy
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Postby goodguy » Nov Sat 26, 2005 5:53 am

And if you did not sell out for the first penny shown your way, you would die and your kids would sell it. And about that time, that forest you are so passionate about would also die.

Squawk all you want, but the town is zoned residential, not multiacre farm. So it will be checkerboarded into oblong one acre lots, one house apiece, fronting a road.

About your only option is to go elsewhere if you don't like it. There is much unoccupied land in this country. Not likely to be much development ther for many moons. Just head over to the other side of Worcester. Bring a big wallet though. The land is cheap, but there ain't much in the way of employment to live on.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Joseph » Nov Sat 26, 2005 8:53 am

'goodguy' take note.
'Caesar' posted on the Rezone Route 3A thread on Nov Wed 02, 2005:

"Here's a better idea. Do a comprehensive study of undeveloped land at risk of 40B developement. Then, as far as possible buy up properties allowing access to these at risk parcels. Sometimes buying just one small lot is enough to ward off a huge, disasterous, 40B. Then, as CPA funds come in, begin to buy up the 'at risk' lots in the order of the potential harm they pose to the town......For example parcels within water protection buffer zones should be given first consideration.

Of course now that we have a Housing Coordinator, fixated on some conversion scheme, an idea like this one may no longer be something an ordinary resident could bring about. That's the problem with bureaucracy.

They have no idea what they voted away."

So when the CPA tax comes up for review and reauthorization what will YOU do? Vote to keep the TAX so that the pot of CPA money keeps growing? But, so-called "Affordable Housing" projects are gobbling up more and more of these funds around the state. Will Marshfield wake up and DEMAND that more CPA funds go to PRESERVATION of land and HISTORICAL assets? Will we DEMAND that the town implement a plan like outlined by Caesar. It can be done - at the next Town Meeting. The warrant opens in about five weeks.

goodguy
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Postby goodguy » Nov Sat 26, 2005 9:28 am

Joseph, it is rare that those who bellyache so much about development will put up the pennies to buy the property to 'save' it. But I am all for that. Tell you what, we can even do reverse development. Pay me the five hundred grand that my shack is worth, and you can demolish it and plant trees.

Now think that one out to its logical conclusion. Will the last person in town please shut out the lights. Whoops, no lights left as the last bloke pays billions in property tax to pay for all that has gone on before him.

Development is not bad. Development is not good. Development is what you make of it.

I saw the 3a thread, but did not read it.

Seems to me that sometime back there was some discussion about developing behind the industrial park. Industry, low income housing, complete with their own school and exit ramp so we did not have to mix with the riff raff. Met the 40 b requirements.

Man, many here sure do get their shorts in a bunch when someone says multi unit. Egad, more than one house on an acre? How will we survive. Please tell us, Humarock, Brant Rock, Kent Park, Silver Pines, Rexhame, aw, forget it.

More harm is done to our country atmosphere with granite curbing than property density.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Soul for sale

Postby Joseph » Nov Sat 26, 2005 10:23 am

'goodguy' wrote:
Joseph, it is rare that those who bellyache so much about development will put up the pennies to buy the property to 'save' it. But I am all for that. Tell you what, we can even do reverse development. Pay me the five hundred grand that my shack is worth, and you can demolish it and plant trees.

No! Me first! I am still counting on The Regime, the Democratic Party, Beacon and the airport will try to buy me and offer me $500,000 for MY shack! :wink: One less gadfly in town! Earl has the right idea!

goodguy wrote:Now think that one out to its logical conclusion. Will the last person in town please shut out the lights. Whoops, no lights left as the last bloke pays billions in property tax to pay for all that has gone on before him.

That is not the logical conclusion. The last man in town needs no schools, no police force (except his own S&W), and no taxes to be paid on all that preserved property. He sells souvenirs, fishing and hunting licenses and opens a naturalist camp in Rexhame.

goodguy wrote:Development is not bad. Development is not good. Development is what you make of it.

What we need to do is to elect and appoint officials that 'Take the Pledge' - lowering taxes and PRESERVATION of natural resources and open space is JOB NUMBER 1!

goodguy wrote:I saw the 3a thread, but did not read it.

Seems to me that sometime back there was some discussion about developing behind the industrial park. Industry, low income housing, complete with their own school and exit ramp so we did not have to mix with the riff raff. Met the 40 b requirements.

Man, many here sure do get their shorts in a bunch when someone says multi unit. Egad, more than one house on an acre? How will we survive. Please tell us, Humarock, Brant Rock, Kent Park, Silver Pines, Rexhame, aw, forget it

The building in those areas was originally for summer camps - like getaways for JM Curley. Now many are occupied year 'round.

The septic systems' designs and the demands on municipal services associated with full-time usage were not anticipated back when they were built. This is the reason for the 5,000 to 10,000 square foot lots in the areas you mention. It wasn't a result of 'Smart Growth' legislation or 40B.

There is NOTHING wrong with one-acre lots. In fact in most areas it is the density that makes sense for practical reasons like septic system design and, for the health and safety of the residents. It's also called a part of the American Dream.

goodguy
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Postby goodguy » Nov Sat 26, 2005 10:44 am

If you have a thousand units, each paying the same tax. And, you buy back one. You now have 999 units paying the same tax, plus the buyback.

By the time you buyback 500 units, your tax has doubled, and you have the additional burden of the buyback cost of 500 units. If you get rid of all town expenses so the tax goes to zero, you still cannot escape the buyback cost. Last unit standing gets crushed. He has to buyback his own, plus whatever is left of the 999 others. The big ouch.

Earl Jr
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Postby Earl Jr » Nov Sat 26, 2005 11:14 am

goodguy wrote:And if you did not sell out for the first penny shown your way, you would die and your kids would sell it. And about that time, that forest you are so passionate about would also die.

Squawk all you want, but the town is zoned residential, not multiacre farm. So it will be checkerboarded into oblong one acre lots, one house apiece, fronting a road.

About your only option is to go elsewhere if you don't like it. There is much unoccupied land in this country. Not likely to be much development ther for many moons. Just head over to the other side of Worcester. Bring a big wallet though. The land is cheap, but there ain't much in the way of employment to live on.

Legalizer,Check your headgear will ya? I'm outa here soon,thought you knew that?The west is the best,remember? Heading to the land of the big sky and not gonna look back! Our town is a gonner and attitudes like yours(which is shameful BTW),are the reason!

God Bless Our Troops

Hurricane
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Postby Hurricane » Nov Sat 26, 2005 11:25 am

Speaking of which, Earl.... I thought you were moving in September. Am I remembering wrong or did you change your plans :?:
"Clipper" will always be in my Heart !!

Earl Jr
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Postby Earl Jr » Nov Sat 26, 2005 11:39 am

I don't remember saying Sep but it was going to be this fall but we need a little more time,will let ya know Sal.

God Bless Our Troops

Hurricane
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Postby Hurricane » Nov Sat 26, 2005 11:42 am

Well... I do have C.R.S. !! When I do remember, it's wrong.:lol:

goodguy
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Postby goodguy » Nov Sat 26, 2005 12:53 pm

Earl, change is tough. Toughest when it is home that changes. But change is much bettr managed than griped about.

RE: out West. BTDT. I hope you won't be dissapointed. It is a grass is always greener thing. At least you will have internet contact. I don't think we all would know what to do without you.

Kurt Schluter
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Kurt Schluter » Nov Sat 26, 2005 2:17 pm

Earl- Please stay on the forum when you move west. It would be great to hear how life is out there from your perspective as a former townie. I know that when I left and have visited occasionally, the town is a huge disappointment. It has gotten smaller and more crowded and my favorite places are unrecognizable except for the beach. I've been away for 25 years now and would never move back as I like it up here in the woods. You'll probably feel the same way. I do miss the people and the ocean and rivers though. Luckily I can get to a beach in 30 minutes and have a river in my backyard.
Make America Great Again!
Trump/Pence 2016

Hurricane
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Postby Hurricane » Nov Sat 26, 2005 2:45 pm

He said he'll never leave the Forum. But I hope when he does discribe his new life that he doesn't insult ALL of us here by calling us all Massidiots and we deserve what we get....especially when we all didn't vote for this mess....we were just out numbered. :(

Yes, Earl...I take it personally because you always say "you all.....".

Jack Reynolds
Tourist
Tourist
facebook ID: planceer@hotmail.com

Postby Jack Reynolds » Nov Sat 26, 2005 5:48 pm

:D
Earl,
Don't look back when you leave, but don't forget the fried clams and fresh seafood you've had over the years. That's the only thing I miss from Marshfield, that and Kent Park. Good luck out there and keep in touch.

JACK

Hurricane, how y'all doin'?
:D
Georgia on my mind,
Marshfield in my heart
and the armed forces in my prayers.

Hurricane
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Postby Hurricane » Nov Sat 26, 2005 6:42 pm

Fine, Jack...Wiseguy !! :lol:

Earl Jr
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Postby Earl Jr » Nov Sat 26, 2005 10:56 pm

" I hope you won't be dissapointed. It is a grass is always greener thing."

I won't be goodguy,my two older kids both live there now and are settling down and Oregongrown and I were married there and I lived there 17 years!

"I don't think we all would know what to do without you."

:lol: :lol: You are a funny b*stard!

"Earl- Please stay on the forum when you move west."

Some may not want me here anymore Kurt but I promise!

"he doesn't insult ALL of us here by calling us all Massidiots and we deserve what we get.."

Oh Sal,I'm one too but the correct word is Masshole!

"but don't forget the fried clams and fresh seafood you've had over the years."

I won't Jack!

Thanks for the love guys,I needed that tonight!

God Bless Our Troops

Shellshock
Transient
Transient

Postby Shellshock » Nov Sun 27, 2005 9:05 am

How will there services get in to that development I didn't think you could Dig up new road for 10 years after its been built (Webster St) Except for Emergencies
Steve Barber
Killem All Let ALLAH Sort Em Out
Proud American Veteran

If the Answer is John Kerry it Must have been a Stupid Question !!
All my posts are my opinion and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations or boards I belong to.

Watchutalkinbout'
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Postby Watchutalkinbout' » Nov Sun 27, 2005 1:45 pm

Who's with me in hoping Earl DOES leave the forum?

dddd
Resident
Resident

Postby dddd » Nov Tue 29, 2005 12:32 pm

hey, Watchutalkinbout' we may not all agree with earl jr's opinions, but he is entitled to them like it or not, and so are you. I don't think we need to wish him away an oposing opinion is always a good thing, if everyone thought the same, I would hate to see the results. Plus there would be no one to argue with, there be nothing much to say and little motivation to do so.

Earl Jr
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Postby Earl Jr » Nov Tue 29, 2005 11:10 pm

I already said I won't leave the forum just the town(city) and State!

God Bless Our Troops

Watchutalkinbout'
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Postby Watchutalkinbout' » Nov Tue 29, 2005 11:12 pm

dddd wrote:hey, Watchutalkinbout' we may not all agree with earl jr's opinions, but he is entitled to them like it or not, and so are you. I don't think we need to wish him away an oposing opinion is always a good thing, if everyone thought the same, I would hate to see the results. Plus there would be no one to argue with, there be nothing much to say and little motivation to do so.

I never said he isn't entitled to his opinion, I just say I could do without.

Kurtz
Tourist
Tourist

Postby Kurtz » Nov Wed 30, 2005 2:00 pm

Shellshock,

They tied in back in 2004 before the road was paved over. Same thing on the other end of Webster St. where the mansion used to be.

joe oneill
Resident
Resident

roys house

Postby joe oneill » Nov Wed 30, 2005 5:21 pm

you know i'm disapointed at the fact that none of you asked or cared about roy Brown himself instead of your own self intrest. so heres my qustions

1) is roy Brown ok? as hes up there in age and has been a great person to the marshfield community

2) dose anyone know were roy Brown is since his house was taken down ?

3) speakig of avaiable property has anyone herd the status ofmr.hutchinson propery as why are the trailers still there?i would think that the hutchinson property is more of threat of expanded building since its a large property.

Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

Re: roys house

Postby Swamp Yankee » Nov Wed 30, 2005 6:14 pm

[quote="joe oneill"]you know i'm disapointed at the fact that none of you asked or cared about roy Brown himself instead of your own self intrest. so heres my qustions

1) is roy Brown ok? as hes up there in age and has been a great person to the marshfield community

Saw him coming out of Jackinsons not to long ago. I was in my vehicle at the time but he looked okay to me. Don't know where he is living now.

JP
Resident
Resident

Postby JP » Nov Wed 30, 2005 6:40 pm

Roy is OK and in town still. He was bought out by the developers to make way for this project.

bc
Transient
Transient

Postby bc » Nov Wed 30, 2005 6:51 pm

last time i was in to see Roy / he told me his wife was ill, his son wasnt going to take over the business , shortly after the house went up for sale.

pioneer765
Tourist
Tourist

Postby pioneer765 » Nov Wed 30, 2005 10:33 pm

joe oneill wrote:you know i'm disapointed at the fact that none of you asked or cared about roy Brown himself instead of your own self intrest. so heres my qustions

3) speakig of avaiable property has anyone herd the status ofmr.hutchinson propery as why are the trailers still there?i would think that the hutchinson property is more of threat of expanded building since its a large property.

The Adelaide Phillips property "Hutchinson" is in a trust call webster street trust. the trailer which is one Was to store what ever was saved from the house after the fire.

The house and land should have NEVER goten into the hands of Hutchinson The land and house was in Adelaide will to be left to disabled children. Some moneys left in that trust has gone to those children in the Marshfield Schools.

Hutchinson was at one time a professor at Harvard

he also had two other properties

Im not sure what the "Webster Street trust" is all about back the land mostly wet lands cant be developed (100 feet from a wet lands) only three house were built on the Adelaide Phillips land sold off by Hutchinson.

The man was a "packrat" he had newspapers and books in every room of the house. The fire started when a lamp was left on next two books.
somewhere in Marshfield all of Adelaide Phillips furniture, and stuff the gardens statue where saved and stored but no one seems to know where
Ive seen on piece long ago at the Winslow house.

Its a shame to see Webster street develop so much more than in the 1970-80 but to view photos of the Thomas webster Hall estate later the Cohee and anderson "Camp Daniel Webster" see no house on both side of the 1600 acre estate also seeing camp cedar crest (Gotam Hill)

But nothing is sadder than beautiful down town Marshield
How little do they see what really is, who frame their hasty judgment upon that which seems.

Daniel Webster

joe oneill
Resident
Resident

Postby joe oneill » Nov Wed 30, 2005 11:16 pm

pioneer765 wrote:
joe oneill wrote:you know i'm disapointed at the fact that none of you asked or cared about roy Brown himself instead of your own self intrest. so heres my qustions

The Adelaide Phillips property "Hutchinson" is in a trust call webster street trust. the trailer which is one Was to store what ever was saved from the house after the fire.

The house and land should have NEVER goten into the hands of Hutchinson The land and house was in Adelaide will to be left to disabled children. Some moneys left in that trust has gone to those children in the Marshfield Schools.

Hutchinson was at one time a professor at Harvard

he also had two other properties

Im not sure what the "Webster Street trust" is all about back the land mostly wet lands cant be developed (100 feet from a wet lands) only three house were built on the Adelaide Phillips land sold off by Hutchinson.

The man was a "packrat" he had newspapers and books in every room of the house. The fire started when a lamp was left on next two books.
somewhere in Marshfield all of Adelaide Phillips furniture, and stuff the gardens statue where saved and stored but no one seems to know where
Ive seen on piece long ago at the Winslow house.

Its a shame to see Webster street develop so much more than in the 1970-80 but to view photos of the Thomas webster Hall estate later the Cohee and anderson "Camp Daniel Webster" see no house on both side of the 1600 acre estate also seeing camp cedar crest (Gotam Hill)

But nothing is sadder than beautiful down town Marshield

I live very close to the property and recall the fire.i herd he was a packrat with the newspapers etc kept that actually contributed to the total loss of the house.i have herd rummors of multi build in housing devolpement there . I last herd that there was a pending court case regarding the property among family living members..the trailors should be removed as its a sore eye and the contex inside given to his family as the trailors represent another fire waitting to happen.
glad roys brown ok as sorry to the successfull family bussiness is comming to a end but hope roy enjoys retirement.

Kid
Visitor
Visitor

Postby Kid » Dec Thu 01, 2005 10:45 am

I take it Mr. Hutchinson is no longer with us?

Return to “Marshfield General Discussion”