Deadliest Catch Captain Phil Harris dies at 53

Idle chit-chat
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules

To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
Glen Quagmire
Transient
Transient

Deadliest Catch Captain Phil Harris dies at 53

Post by Glen Quagmire » Feb Wed 10, 2010 9:01 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... at_53.html

Captain Phil Harris, the cantankerous, chain-smoking crabbing boat boss who became a household name on Discovery's hit series "The Deadliest Catch," died Tuesday.

He was 53.

Harris had suffered a stroke Jan. 30 while in port off-loading his ship the F/V Cornelia Marie in Alaska. He had been hospitalized ever since.

"He was more than someone on our television screen," Discovery officials said in a statement. "Phil was a devoted father and loyal friend to all who knew him. We will miss his straightforward honesty, wicked sense of humor and enormous heart."

Harris was one of the star players in the series which follows crab fishermen working the deadly waters off of Alaska. The job has been called the most dangerous in the world because of the high rate of injury to the participants who gamble life and limb for a lucrative haul on the seas.

Harris was known for barking orders from his perch at the wheel of the Cornelia Marie, and for the ever present cigarette.

Among his crew were sons Jake and Josh Harris.

"It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our dad - Captain Phil Harris," the brothers said in a joint statement last night. "Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end. For us and the crew, he was someone who never backed down. We will remember and celebrate that strength. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers."

Fans of the show last night flooded Discovery's "Deadliest Catch" web site as news got out that Harris had died.

"Thank you, Phil, for bringing humor to my screen every week. You were my favorite captain, and the Cornelia Marie was my favorite boat," wrote a poster, txstchmandy. "You will be missed. But I know your spirit will always stay with your boat, and you're in your children and crews' hearts. I hope this isn't the end for the Cornelia Marie on DC. But I know it's not the end for crab fishing.'

Others posted heartfelt messages that the show wouldn't be the same without Harris.

"I'm so sad for the family," wrote gapeach1952. "I thought he was doing better. OK I'm sad for me too, I'll miss you Phil Harris."

In their statement, Discovery officials said they shared "our tremendous sadness over this loss with the millions of viewers who followed Phil's every move. We send our thoughts and prayers to Phil's sons Josh and Jake and the Cornelia Marie crew."
Giggity, giggity, giggity!

Jackster
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Re: Deadliest Catch Captain Phil Harris dies at 53

Post by Jackster » Feb Wed 10, 2010 10:47 am

RIP Capt. Phil. Age 53 seems young but its like 97 in crab fisherman/chain smoker years.

Earl Jr
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Earl Jr » Feb Thu 11, 2010 7:51 am

RIP Capt Phil! Was my fav but he did put away those red bulls and cigs...............

God Bless Our Troops

patrol
Visitor
Visitor

Post by patrol » Feb Mon 22, 2010 6:35 pm

He seemed to be such a real person.
Know he had a large extended family.
There will be an empty spot for him for a long time on the Ballard docks of Seattle

Glen Quagmire
Transient
Transient

Post by Glen Quagmire » Feb Mon 22, 2010 7:27 pm

http://www.tmz.com/2010/02/22/deadliest ... aft-video/

This kid's had a rough couple of weeks....
Giggity, giggity, giggity!